We have assembled some helpful resources below. If you find something you think we should add to this page, please email This information is provided 'as is', the laws and regulations in your area may be different, you should always check with your local municipality to confirm.

Ontario Food Premises Act: Covers the needs and requirements for food establishments in Ontario.

Ontario Food Handlers Safety Guide: A PDF guide to safe food handling from the Ontario Government. 

Toronto Food Handler Certification: Toronto Public Health offers Food Handler Certification Courses to provide food handlers with the knowledge of safe food handling practices to prevent food-borne illness. In June 2006, City Council passed a bylaw requiring Food Handler certification for Food Handlers in the food and beverage industry.

AGCO Liquor Licence Application: Application for Liquor Licence in Ontario

AGCO Special Occasion Liquor Permit: Application for a Special Occasion Liquor Licence in Ontario. A Special Occasion Permit (SOP) is needed anytime alcohol is offered for sale or served anywhere other than in a licensed establishment or a private place. A private place is an indoor area not usually open to the public and not open to the public during the event (for example, a boardroom, private office or a residence).

Toronto Grease Interceptor/trap Information: Here is some information outlining the need and requirement for grease traps/interceptors in the GTA. In short, "Yes you need a grease trap". "The City of Toronto Sewers Bylaw, Municipal Code, Chapter 681, requires all commercial, industrial and institutional food facilities to dispose of fats, oils, and grease properly and to install and maintain a proper interceptor (also known as a "grease trap") on appropriate plumbing fixtures.". Even if you don't do "Greasy Foods", you still require the interceptor.

NFPA 96: STANDARD FOR VENTILATION CONTROL AND FIRE: This is the code and regulations that cover restaurant hoods, fire suppression and ventilation. If you want a copy of the PDF you have to pay but you can register for free and read it on-line.

Revenue Canada Business Registration Online (BRO): This is a link to register a business online in Canada. You require this to obtain GST/HST number and do business in Canada.

Restaurant and catering start-up checklist: This is a great resource provided by the Government of Canada to help you get your restaurant or catering business started. Covering everything from statistics, to detailed guides on what you will need.

Food Trucks

In this section we will be adding info as we find it, covering the booming food truck industry in Ontario and the GTA. Some of this info may apply to other areas of the country but you should always check with your local government before proceeding.

TSSA Mobile Food Service Equipment Code: This PDF covers the standards for propane and fuel storage and handling on the vehicle

If you are installing any electrical equipment that uses more than 30VAC then that unit will have to be a CSA/UL approved device. If the electrical is built in to the truck/cart, you will have to have an inspection done by the ESA (Electrical Standards Authority). Applications and forms for this process can be found on the ESA Website.

More coming soon!